Announcing My New Coaching Services!Posted: 2012/01/14
[Edit: The email link on the original post was broken, so I changed it to a form. If you’ve tried to contact me via this post, try again!]
After months of brainstorming and weeks of working out the details, I am pleased to announce that I am now offering Life-Management Coaching!
I’ve spent the past three years actively and intensively figuring out how to work with (rather than against) my brain’s idiosyncrasies to streamline and organize my life. I wouldn’t trade my journey for anything, but it’s been a challenging one. I’m offering this service so that those of you who share my challenges may not have to spend as much time, energy, and frustration on your own paths to overcome them.
So, what exactly is life-management coaching?
Let’s break it down:
- Life: According to Merriam-Webster.com, life is “the sequence of physical and mental experiences that make up the existence of an individual; one or more aspects of the process of living.” These aspects fall into five primary categories:
- Management: Merriam-Webster’s regular definition focused a bit too heavily on business for my taste, but their kids’ dictionary had the right idea:
- to look after and make decisions about
- to make and keep under one’s control
- to treat with care
- to succeed in one’s purpose
Thus, life-management can be defined as the process of carefully looking after, keeping under control, and succeeding in all of one’s affairs – physical, mental, environmental, social, emotional, and spiritual. How do you know if you’re effectively managing your life? Based on the above definitions, I would say that I know this when:
- I feel confident about the decisions I make in my life.
- I am realistic about what I can and can’t control, and focus on the former.
- I treat myself with care in all aspects of my life.
- I am clear about my purpose and can thus succeed in it.
“Yes, Steven, that’s all well and good,” you say. “But again, what is life-management coaching?”Ah, yes; the part where I come in. In the spirit of continuity, let’s check in with Mr. Webster again:
- Coach[ing]: to train intensively (as by instruction and demonstration).
For our purposes, I will train you intensively how to manage your life in a way that doesn’t make you feel like you’re banging your head against a wall – quite the opposite, in fact. My goal is to help you create systems and routines that work for you – which means that they make you feel good. My basic approach is standardized, but the way I implement it will vary from person to person based on individual needs. How do I go about this?
- I use a combination of well-researched methods from a variety of disciplines, including special education, neuroscience, psychology, cognitive behavioral therapy, 12-step programs, and others.*
- I use my own experience. I have researched and road-tested every aspect of my System so that I can give you reliable, first-hand input.
- I ask you about your experience. I can only help you if I know what you need. I keep all things honest and expect you to do the same.
- I provide references and resources. I have certainly not learned what I know in a vacuum; I am grateful to many sources for the tools I’ve acquired to create my own.
- I teach rather than preach. My job is to deliver the information in a way that makes sense to you, not lay out a blanket statement and hope it sticks.
*Note: I am not a licensed practitioner of any of these disciplines (though my bachelor’s degree did involve special education). My services draw from them in personal experience and research, both academic and personal.
What do you get if you sign up for my coaching services?
First, anyone who wants to gets the opportunity to preview the service with a FREE 30-minute consultation call (by Skype or phone).
All you have to do is fill out the form on my brand-spankin’ new Services page (which also contains full details and pricing).
- The Complete Package
We will set up a comprehensive life-management system in six sessions (1-1.5 hours each) spaced as you like (I recommend scheduling them over the course of one month). These sessions utilize my Quick-Start Guide (available for individual sale soon), which I use as a framework to adapt to your specific needs. We will cover scheduling and time management, task tracking and management, information organizing, “stuff” organizing/decluttering, prioritizing – and, most importantly, how all of these areas interrelate. Streamlining and simplification are the common thread throughout the course.
- Stand-alone Sessions
Have a good grasp of time management, but your files need an overhaul? Good at organizing your belongings, but can’t keep track of your to-dos? Schedule a stand-alone session or two with me and we’ll make a plan of action to kick-start your progress.
- Personalized Organization Services
Got a big project that seems too overwhelming to begin? Need someone to walk you through the process of decluttering your home or reorganizing your workplace? You tell me what you need, we work out a schedule and a price. If you’re in the Paris area, I can come to your house/office/workspace and help you physically re-organize. If you live anywhere else in the world, we can do this via Skype.
Questions? Comments? Send me an email!